It has been awhile since I have written here. My love for writing and reading has not ceased, it has merely taken new form. I have been quite busy focusing on a variety of projects that I’m excited to share with you.
A friend and colleague of mine, Aaron Armstrong had started up a friendly podcast a few years ago called Reading Writers. He developed a nice following by interviewing other authors to explore the craft. He asked me to join him for Season 3 I believe because we loved talking about books and wanted to make it more of a giving adventure through our conversations. A few highlights from Season 3 include:
- When good books become great movies
- How reading fiction makes us better readers (and writers)
- Seeing the books we read as part of our biography
Now we are into Season 4 and we invited our friend Barnabas Piper to join us as well. Barnabas brings a level of honesty (or some may say snark) that it demanded a name change. After all we were on a quest to reinvent ourselves. Behold, we are now the Table of (Mal)Contents. Here are a few episodes I recommend to you.
- Books that should have been TED talks. Often we see books that have a core idea but could be summed up much better and shorter medium like an article, blog, Facebook post, or a fifteen minute TED talk.
- We answer Goodreads questions like “If you could transport into any world of a book you love, which would it be and why?” and “Describe yourself in book characters.”
- An interview with Leif Enger, author of the acclaimed Peace Like a River and his most recent novel, Virgil Wander.
Every now and then at work you get an opportunity in your job to truly do something you love that goes beyond the everyday enjoyment. It is not that I don’t love marketing, I just love the fact that I get to influence people through the life-changing nature of books. I am a book evangelist. In April we launched a new website devoted to cultivate a greater love for books. Here are a few articles that I have written or encouraged friends to write.
- Reading in Gratitude: When Books Become Your Biography
- Why You Should Read About Great Lives
- The Book That Made an Astronaut
- Five Reasons You Should Read Children’s Books
I’ve also dabbled in writing for LifeWay Men. Here are a few articles I’ve written this year to encourage men in the Church.
See you again soon.