Any military commander who has stepped foot on a battlefield will probably attest that whatever plan they originally had didn’t exactly go as expected.
As in the case of some brave Navy Seals in Pakistan, their Black Hawk helicopter had mechanical problems when landing at their target. Did they stop and complain about it? I don’t think so but I bet there was a four letter word or two thrown out to describe how they felt. They had a window of opportunity and needed to move forward. They ultimately adapted to the situation, achieved their goal, and destroyed what was left of their damaged Black Hawk. They moved forward.
In the miniseries Band of Brothers (2001) (Episode 7), Easy Company is assaults a town of Foy. The company got caught in mortar fire because they stopped moving. Bullets were flying. They were incapacitated. It wasn’t until they started moving again that they were able to achieve their goal and take the town. It wasn’t easy though and it took brave people willing to step out to move the company forward.
Life is not that much different.
- You didn’t get that job you wanted.
- You got cut in a layoff.
- You got that B instead of an A in a class that kept you from making honor roll.
- You suffered an injury losing out on that sports dream.
- You got cut from the basketball team. (yes, I did)
- You lost a loved one.
- You are a parent and your child’s makes a poor choice.
- Your business didn’t perform well this year.